Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Parliament Security Breach: ‘Gravity of incident should not be underestimated,’ PM Modi terms security breach ‘painful’

Prime Minister Narendra Modi emphasized the gravity of the security breach in Parliament, urging for a united approach to addressing the issue. He cautioned against engaging in unnecessary disputes, especially amid the Opposition’s protests on the matter within the Parliament.

In an interview with the Hindi daily ‘Dainik Jagran’, Modi said probe agencies are investigating the incident and taking stringent measures, noting that it is equally necessary to go to the root of people behind it and their motives.

“Efforts should also be made to look for a solution with collective spirit. Everyone should avoid squabbling over such an issue,” PM Modi told Dainik Jagran.

Also Read: Parliament Security Breach: What if accused could not enter the Lok Sabha? There was ‘Plan B’ | Read here

The newspaper said he described the breach as “painful and a matter of concern,” adding, “The gravity of the incident which happened in Parliament should not be underestimated. The Speaker has also been taking necessary steps with all seriousness.”

On December 13, two individuals leapt from the visitors’ gallery into the Lok Sabha chamber, prompting opposition parties to call for a statement from Home Minister Amit Shah. Certain members have additionally demanded the resignation of Amit Shah in connection with the incident.

The government has asserted that the Lok Sabha secretariat is accountable for the security within the Parliament complex, and it has been adhering to the directives issued by the Speaker.

Also Read: Delhi Police reveals fresh details about Parliament security breach | Read here

Additionally, the government has pointed out several previous instances of similar breaches, accusing the opposition of politicizing the issue.

Meanwhile, ANI reported citing sources that the components of the phones belonging to the accused in the Parliament security breach have been located in Rajasthan.

Notably, all the recovered phone parts were in a burnt condition. It is important to note that the Delhi police are still in the process of retrieving Lalit Jha’s phone.

Also Read: Top news this week: Article 370 verdict, Parliament security breach, Rohit Sharma replaced as MI captain and more

ANI reported that Delhi police sources revealed earlier that Lalit Jha, the accused in Parliament security breach incident, destroyed five mobile phones before arriving in Delhi, and was misleading the investigating team.

In a recent development, the Patiala House Court in Delhi has granted the Police a seven-day custody of Mahesh Kumawat, who is the sixth accused in the Parliament security breach case.

Also Read: Parliament security breach: Amit Malviya charges at Congress, calls Neelam Azad ‘andolanjeevi’

The Delhi Police had requested a 15-day custodial remand for Mahesh Kumawat, who is the latest individual arrested in connection with the incident. Earlier, the court had also granted a seven-day custody of Lalit Jha, one of the accused in the Parliament security breach, and five other individuals have already been taken into police custody.

(With inputs from agencies)

 

Unlock a world of Benefits! From insightful newsletters to real-time stock tracking, breaking news and a personalized newsfeed – it’s all here, just a click away! Login Now!

Catch all the Politics News and Updates on Live Mint.
Download The Mint News App to get Daily Market Updates & Live Business News.

More
Less

Published: 17 Dec 2023, 01:21 PM IST

#Parliament #Security #Breach #Gravity #incident #underestimated #Modi #terms #security #breach #painful

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest Articles